Wednesday 10 November 2010

How did I end up here?

Do you ever wake up and wonder how you ended up in certain situations?  No? Well lucky you - I expect you are pretty happy with where you are. As for me, I have a fantastic marriage that has lasted longer than the national average and I am happy that it has. But I find it unbelievable that I now go to bed with a vicar - well, a curate, to be technically accurate. The man I married didn't do God - not even to appease the future mother in law. My vicar thought that if husband to be was joining a god fearing family like mine, perhaps he ought to be baptised before getting married in church.Husband to be made a short journey down that road by visiting his local pastor and made a swift retreat after one meeting. It's funny how the Church doesn't look that attractive when you feel you are being made to go. It didn't bother future mother in law too much and God didn't seem to mind. He got husband to be much later. I'll tell you about that another time.
I am the curate's wife. I don't do flower rotas, clean brasses, make cakes or do coffee mornings. That's not being negative - I just go out to work to try to maintain the standard of living we had before the Curate became the Curate. I think The Church assumed that I would give up work when the Curate got his first job and so had no qualms in placing the Curate on the opposite coast to the one we had lived on. This is a two hour journey from my place of work. We could have turned it down but the Curate thought he had been placed there to do a job (and being slightly older than other curates  he didn't want to push his luck - ). Am I allowed to mention luck - or will readers be sucking in their teeth and telling me there is no place for luck in God's world? Now you can see the sort of dilemmas that I have to deal with. I hope that I will be able to share a few other dilemmas with the anonymous reader as I feel I cannot have this sort of debate with the good people of the parish. So stay with me reader and help this square peg fit into the round hole she now finds herself living in.


P.S. I forgot to say I don't do scones either but I haven't got the T shirt that declares that to the parish - may be I should get one.

'THE CHURCH OF ENGLAND NEEDS THE VICAR’S WIFE MORE THAN EVER'

So said Cranmer's Curate a while ago.





No comments: